[Histonet] Competency Assessments

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 10:03:54 CST 2015

Elaine:As you wrote there are differences of opinion, so here is mine:Start with "analysis" which is the process of determining the qualities of something. As I see it, in histology the pathologist is the one who analyzes = determines the qualities of the tissue sections and gets to a diagnosis.Consequently, pre-analytical are all those steps leading to the preparation of the slide, namely, grossing, processing, sectioning and staining.The PT analyzes the finished tissue section and asks for special procedures; and those are post analytical but they can be also considered as part of a final diagnoses and, as such, are also "pre-analytical". If you take this last definition, then the post analytical will be limited to everything is done in the lab after the diagnosis is reached and will include billing, contacting the patient/referring physician, archiving and other tasks.So you have first to get CAP's definition or elaborate your own one in accordance with your lab director.René