[Histonet] Secondary specimen container labelling: New CAP checklist requirement: COM.06200

Garrey Faller garreyf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 07:41:03 CST 2015

Hi everyone,

I just noticed this new CAP requirement. Its in the All common checklist.
I always thought slides and blocks must have two separate patient
identifiers. Now, I guess slides and blocks are considered "secondary
containers" and need only one. Am I reading this correctly? Our lab is 100%
manual and we handwrite slides and blocks.
I will continue to use two identifiers. Just thought Id bring this to your
attention and see how you feel.
Garrey

*COM.06200*

*Secondary Specimen Container Labeling*

*Adequate specimen identification is provided on specimen containers
throughout all phases of testing, including, but not limited to aliquots,
dilution, tubes, slides, blocks, culture plates, reaction units, nucleic
acids and other extracts, data extract files, images, and other secondary
specimens created during the processing or testing of a specimen.*

*NOTE: A single, unique identifier may be used to label materials derived
from the primary specimen for use in subsequent phases of testing. The
specimen identification system used must provide reliable identification of
the secondary specimen and be linked to the full particulars of patient
identification, collection date, specimen type, etc. The specimen
identifier(s) must*

*be indelible, legible, and able to withstand all stages of processing and
conditions of storage. Identification may be text-based, numeric,
bar-coded, etc. The form of this system is entirely at the discretion of
each laboratory and must be defined in laboratory procedure.*

*Slides prepared from specimens in the laboratory are considered secondary
specimen containers. Slides prepared in the patient setting and brought to
the laboratory (e.g. fine needle aspiration, bone marrow preparations) are
considered primary specimen containers and must follow the labeling
requirements for primary specimen containers.*

*For histology specimens, each block of tissue must be identified by a
unique identifier traceable to the primary specimen (e.g. accession number)
assigned to the case and by any descriptive letter(s)/number(s) added by
the prosector during the dissection. If additional blocks are prepared
later, all lists and logs must reflect these additions. Identification
number and letter(s)/number(s) must be affixed to all blocks in a manner
that remains legible. Each slide must be identified by the unique
identifier traceable to the primary specimen and descriptive letters unique
to the block from which it is cut. Other appropriate identifiers should be
included as applicable (e.g. levels of sectioning). Automated prelabeling
systems are acceptable.*