[Histonet] Waterbath cleanliness

Sanders, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID) jqb7 at cdc.gov
Tue May 26 06:08:05 CDT 2015

Hi,

Paraffin build-up should not be a common practice. I recall being told as a student decades ago, "The waterbath should be kept scrupulously clean". Some things are still true today and this is one of them.

Does your waterbath have a glass insert? If so, simply wipe off all of the paraffin you can and then wipe off remaining debris with a small amount of xylene and wipe that off with alcohol. Then a quick wash in warm soapy water takes care of the rest. In a high-volume lab a quick wash in the lab dishwasher is perfect.

My waterbath has no insert...just a solid black finish and of course it cannot be submerged in water and xylene is out of the question. I just make sure there is no paraffin on the edges and if some happens to get stuck there in spite of my efforts then I use a small amount of alcohol on gauze and remove it. Then I rinse the waterbath in distilled  water, dry it out and then squirt a small amount of alcohol in it, swish it around and wipe it dry.

We also only use distilled water in our waterbath.

Jeanine Sanders
CDC Atlanta