[Histonet] OJT Histotechs/Training

Coffey, Anna (NIH/NCI) [C] anna.coffey at nih.gov
Tue May 19 13:00:46 CDT 2015

Hi Loralei,

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I'm unclear why you would be ineligible to sit for the exam with your experience. I've always worked in a research lab on animal tissues and used that experience to qualify for the exam. There is no longer a practical portion of the exam (the entire thing is a multiple choice electronic exam) and none of the paperwork requires a pathologist to sign off as your supervisor (this is the form to verify experience: http://www.ascp.org/pdf/BOC-PDFs/Documentation-forms/DocumentationFormHTLRoute2.aspx). According to the ASCP site, experience counts as "one year full time acceptable experience in a histopathology (clinical, veterinary, industry or research) laboratory in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory* within the last ten years."

It's my understanding that the exam requirements have changed over the last few years (before I got my certification) and maybe you now would be eligible for the certification?

Anna Coffey, MS, HTL(ASCP)CM
Histotechnologist
Center for Advanced Preclinical Research
Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc.
Bld 539, 224
Frederick, Maryland 21702
anna.coffey at nih.gov