[Histonet] OJT Histotechs/Training

Joelle Weaver joelleweaver at hotmail.com
Thu May 14 14:35:10 CDT 2015

We have discussed this on the histonet many times...

Most professions, and most if not all healthcare professions, require degrees and/or certification for entry. This is how the public, other medical professions ,and even HR-who do not know the technical- assess for our capacity to provide care and judge the skill level needed of the profession as they are "looking in". We all know that this isn't always perhaps the best method to assess or measure some aspects of this profession, but this is what they work from. There are good and bad examples of both OJT and educated, formally trained histology professionals. However, "education" is more than learning facts, it helps develop many other facets of the person that are viewed as valuable to organizations. That is why it is used as a screening tool.  Please try to value the broader perspective.  Technical proficiency itself is probably not going to be enough as the future unfolds. Though it may seem unfair if you have worked for a very long time and learned a great deal through experience, the bottom line is that for some employers, some environments and outside groups- education, credentials and professionalism are the primary criteria they use to evaluate, and they pay and recognize accordingly.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC