[Histonet] Formalin in the Operating Room/Department

Jones, Laura lpjones at srhs-pa.org
Tue May 12 13:47:21 CDT 2015

Histonet Experts,

A little over a year ago, our hospital was bought by CHS.  There have been many changes, but after visits from corporate advisors, it was decided that no formalin could be poured in the O.R./ department.  Previously, they kept the large cubitainers of formalin in between the O.R. rooms in smaller utility rooms and accessed it from there.  Now, smaller specimens are places in prefilled formalin vials, and larger specimens are supposed to be brought to us immediately so that we can put formalin on them.  As you'd expect, we are finding specimens that have been sitting too long without fixative.  The O.R. staff has been told that in our absence, they are to come to the lab and take care of this.  Also, the hospital labor and delivery department cannot have formalin for specimens now.

My questions are these:

-  Does anyone else have this situation?  (Especially if you are a CHS hospital)  And if you do, how do you make it work?

-  How is it safer to have small (up to 400 ml) prefilled jars of formalin in the O.R. or a nearby utility room?

-  What do you all think about the costs involved?  Prefilled jars are not inexpensive.

Maybe after 27 years I'm too resistant to change, but I see the potential for big problems.  We have to do as we are instructed, but I'm interested in your expert opinions.  Thanks in advance.

Laura Jones B.A., HT, PBT (ASCP) | Lead Tech, Histology | Community Health Systems
740 East State Street | Sharon PA | Phone (724)983-3950 | Fax (724)983-3982
www.sharonregional.com<http://www.sharonregional.com/> | lpjones at srhs-pa.org<mailto:lpjones at srhs-pa.org>

Disclaimer: This electronic message may contain information that is Proprietary, Confidential, or legally privileged or protected. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message and do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information it contains.