[Histonet] RE: BS in Histotechnology

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Wed Mar 25 13:08:01 CDT 2015

Like many of us, I stumbled I into Histo.  I took a class in Histology as part of a Pre-Med curriculum in college and liked what I saw.  We were never told that it was a career field, so a few years later when I was offered the chance to work in a histo lab I took it.  Since I had a BS, I was encouraged to take the HT exam, but didn't do IHC so not the HTL.  Years later I was told that I could get a salary increase with the HTL.
Being in education, I see the need for more HTL's, but without a salary difference it is hard to sell.  The new healthcare law, may be able to help us, in regards to the need for mid-level providers.  The fact that HTL's can do more complicated testing helps. Employers are beginning to require certification, but experience goes a long way.  In some places people have had to change their title, because they are not certified.
Sometimes it seems that in regards to histo the chicken/egg question comes up.  Without the differences in salaries, it is hard to attract degreed and certified techs, but without the certified techs it is hard to get better salaries.
I agree, NSH needs to do more, but so does ASCP.  We need the respect and recognition that is deserved.  Histotechnology is an obscure profession that few people, let alone those in healthcare, are aware of.  Everybody has seen our work, but doesn't really understand the effort that we put forth.
Education institutions should promote their programs (mine included), and actively recruit students. No one really knows that education programs exist for the field.  One thing I mention to potential applicants is how many jobs I held at once, just because they were there.  CAP should have a link to the NSH website to encourage education, working techs should have more pride in their craft and push education and certification.  Those of us who took the OJT route need to keep abreast of the changes in the field and participate in education opportunities.  There should be no room for jealousy and back biting.
Many techs who are certified, did not keep it current because they did not plan to leave their institution, and now regret it.
Education and certification are essential for the continued progression of our field, but as a whole we have to decide what we want and come together to accomplish it.  HT is important, HTL is important.  Not everyone is cut out to get a four year degree, but each person who is employed as a histotech should be certified for the betterment of the field as a whole.

Sincerely,

Toysha N. Mayer, D.H.Sc., MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor/Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
713.563-3481

-------- Original message --------
From: Bernice Frederick <b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu>
Date:03/24/2015  3:27 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: "Sanders, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID)" <jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov>, Carl Nituda <Cnituda <@t> nvdermatology.com>, "Marcum, Pamela A" <PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu>, Sue <suetp918 <@t> comcast.net>, Timothy Morken <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsf.edu>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu, Jennifer MacDonald <JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

"They"  don't realize the theory we have to learn and those questions we have to answer like " What's the best fixative for a pheochromocytoma?" You tell them and they say the pathologist says B-5, to which I  said, well they wouldn't pass out registry exam with that answer.....Grrr. Or the difference between a Mucin, Pas and Alcian Blue. The cytopath who asked did really need to know. As well I vaguely recall a question back on my HTL exam asking why a pathologist would request a mucin stain....
Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Senior Research Tech
Pathology Core Facility