[Histonet] RE: BS in Histotechnology

Coffey, Anna (NIH/NCI) [C] anna.coffey <@t> nih.gov
Wed Mar 25 11:52:36 CDT 2015

As a newly certified tech, I've got to say that I really appreciate this conversation and hearing others' stories. I am someone who did sort of fall into histology by accident; I learned processing, sectioning, and H&E staining while preparing the samples for my MS thesis. I had a BS in Biology and a MS in Marine Science and found very few job opportunities available upon graduation. I knew I had a strong interest in pathology and luckily had learned a skill (histology) to get a job in a histopath lab. I was encouraged to get my certification, but when I started looking into it, I was a bit frustrated by what seemed like a very informal process and severe lack of resources. It took me a very long time to figure out if I was even eligible to sit for the exam! I was so grateful to find out about this listserve and everyone was very helpful and supportive throughout the whole exam prep process. However, there were many times I felt I had nowhere to turn for answers. I will admit that I underestimated the amount and depth of questions on the exam and was shocked by the amount of time it took to prepare myself. I basically taught myself everything from books and online test prep materials. This left me feeling like, although I had learned  A TON, there were still significant holes in my knowledge and I have since resigned myself to trying to pick up as much as I can from any resources I can get my hands on.

I certainly don't want to imply that my experience is the norm, but I do wish there was more information out there about histology as a career. I often feel like I'm trying to piece together a niche career because of the way I came into the field and I don't know many other certified techs that I can try to model my own career path after. I do consider this listserve a very valuable resource and greatly appreciate everyone's contributions.

Anna Coffey, MS, HTL(ASCP)CM
Histotechnologist
Center for Advanced Preclinical Research
Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc.
Bld 539, 224
Frederick, Maryland 21702
anna.coffey <@t> nih.gov