[Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Pam Marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Tue Mar 24 13:45:08 CDT 2015

I agree and I am questioning NSH and what it is doing for us.  I support them mainly because they are creating some education routes for people who need CEUs.  I prefer to spent my time with state and regional societies in Histology as they are attempting to find ways to attract more people to Histology.  We all have that fight and finding ways to be recognized it not easy.
I lived in San Franciso during the early 80s and it is a difficult market with hisgh goals.  I am glad it is improving the status the Histologist there by being a corwded market where you can ask for better trained people and hold them to a path to improve even more.

Pam

----- Original Message -----

From: "Timothy Morken" <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsf.edu>
To: "Pam Marcum" <mucram11 <@t> comcast.net>, "Sue" <suetp918 <@t> comcast.net>
Cc: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>, "Jennifer MacDonald" <JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:35:30 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Pam, true enough. Indeed, for the annual NSH survey my only comment was that NSH has been ineffective in convincing pathology departments of the value of an HT or HTL certification - to the point that many are now questioning its value at all. Ours is  one of few institutions that requires certification for advancement and our medical directors have been pushing for higher quality staff in order to raise the quality of our lab. We went through a pay revision about 7 years ago because the biotech companies and other large medical institutions were sucking up any candidates that poked their head up. We are now on par but still have to fight for any good candidates.

But as long as histotechs are on the job trained (probably 99.9% now, as in the past), and invisible to high school and college students, the pay is going nowhere. It is still quite possible to get into the field with no experience . One of our techs got into histology by answering a Craig's list ad placed by a slide mill. He is  very good tech, and has a degree in cellular and molecular biology, but that just goes to show how random our source pool is. His education is good, his histology training is random. And another quality candidate just randomly poked his head in my office a few months ago saying he had been doing some histology work in a research lab and was really excited to find out it could be a full time permanent job. We hired him but he is starting in accessioning  and will work his way into histology.  This is how most people get into histology.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center

Tim