[Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Bernice Frederick b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu
Tue Mar 24 13:03:49 CDT 2015

My degree is actually a bachelor of general science with an emphasis in Histotechnology. The only reason I don't have a BS in biology is once I heard I did not need Quant to be a histotech, I rejoiced and did  not take it,which would have given me the BS in Biology. As it stands, I say I have a degree in histo.
I agree with all in that PI's think anyone can cut (no theory) and NU does not restrict who can but equipment or use it, despite the fact we are the core facility. We are not unionized so I envy your 36/hr.
Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Senior Research Tech
Pathology Core Facility
Robert. H. Lurie Cancer Center
Northwestern University
710 N Fairbanks Court
Olson 8-421
Chicago,IL 60611
312-503-3723
b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:42 AM
To: Podawiltz, Thomas; Jennifer MacDonald; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Tom, no, Histo does start lower than med techs, but consider that a med tech has specialty training from the time they decide to go that route while most histotechs have general biology degrees and nothing but on the job training. Even with a certification a Histotech is not at the same level as a med  tech simply due to the unstructured nature of their self-education and training.  In 30+ years I have met only a handful of people who got any sort of degrees in Histotechnology, so waiting for those people to come along is not going to  work for hiring. Most of our staff got their certification while working here and did it on their own. Only one has a degree in Histotechnology, and a BS at that!.

 A starting salary here is $36/hr and it is a $3 to $4 increase per level. The lab staff is unionized, and we compete with many large service labs (ie Kaiser) and many, many large biotech companies for the same pool of techs. Plus, it is expensive to live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

We only recently (a few years ago) started this requirement in order to get our staff to a higher level. We still have staff without BA/BS degrees. The degree just needs to meet the requirements for certification so does not need to be a specialty degree.

Tim