[Histonet] FW: Release of blocks to research facilities

Abbott, Tanya TanyaAbbott <@t> catholichealth.net
Tue Mar 17 12:28:18 CDT 2015

Luckily we do have a research coordinator who takes care of all of these for us and he is very thorough. He obtains consent and deals with all costs. I am
thinking that I just need to verify that the facility receiving the block (s) are retaining them for the appropriate amount of time, which they are.
But yes, all good food for thought! Thanks for all the input folks!
Tanya

-----Original Message-----
From: James Watson [mailto:JWatson <@t> gnf.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:18 PM
To: 'WILLIAM DESALVO'; Abbott, Tanya
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] FW: Release of blocks to research facilities

Bill is correct, CAP is actually the least of your worries.  There are many regulations about human tissue used in research (I do not know them all), but patient consent is essential and in some cases the patient must actually agree to the specific research project.  Here we have regulations about control block tissue that we use, we cannot get tissue directly from a local hospital.   Also the laws are different in each country.  There is a lot of bioethics involved.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bioethics.od.nih.gov_humantissue.html&d=AwIFAw&c=ND-Z_FnoJTOCBd6ZraMT0-wJD0GDS_U0VV_Zq7yxAI4&r=hZcGVKviJYVs6fzc5J4jSeysau9AxOWpKXzfQgGZmaw&m=OCnLOvVFGUusxYsBbq-Ykuqe0CPoX1ZNX9HWkbBcgXE&s=RlbMe-0hfDNzmnp9qRfqYfeoqOM6X3Mg6YcKEkC3vl0&e=

Human Tissue Ownership and Use in Research: What Laboratorians and Researchers Should Know https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.clinchem.org_content_56_11_1675.full.pdf&d=AwIFAw&c=ND-Z_FnoJTOCBd6ZraMT0-wJD0GDS_U0VV_Zq7yxAI4&r=hZcGVKviJYVs6fzc5J4jSeysau9AxOWpKXzfQgGZmaw&m=OCnLOvVFGUusxYsBbq-Ykuqe0CPoX1ZNX9HWkbBcgXE&s=cyiM7Uax7JX_cIRMQBNYnrjVrhBa-8Aw3ekWJvXuuA0&e=

James Watson HT  ASCP
GNF  Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation Scientific Technical Leader II, Histology Tel    858-332-4647 Fax   858-812-1915 jwatson <@t> gnf.org