[Histonet] Embedding Question

Marcum, Pamela A PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu
Thu Mar 12 12:56:29 CDT 2015

We routinely pull tissue from the processor and in the time it takes to load the embedding centers in numeric and alpha case order the block cool and paraffin will harden.  I would not call it freezing it has just cooled.  We start embedding immediately and between the heat on the embedding center and the heat in the block storage area on the embedding center we are fine.  On Saturday and/or Sunday we leave them in cooled paraffin until Monday morning, again no problem.  We do not refrigerate it everything is room temperature and then put in embedding center for approximately 30 minutes before we start embedding.  Sometimes for small biopsies we just set it on the staging area (10 blocks at a time) and start as soon as the person assigned has the station set up for their preference.

Pam Marcum
UAMS

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lucie Guernsey
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 12:08 PM
To: Paula Sicurello
Cc: HistoNet; Morken, Timothy
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Embedding Question

If I may, I'd like to piggy-back onto what Paula has mentioned regarding allowing paraffin infiltrated tissue to cool before embedding it. Hopefully someone can help both of us out, even if we seem to warm our infiltrated tissue differently (Paula's in a dry bin and mine in a wax bath).

I work in a research lab where we work in large batches and time is not a priority like it is in a clinical setting. Rather than leaving 60-80 cassettes of infiltrated tissue soaking in a hot wax bath for hours at a time, we've begun to allow the cassettes to cool and just toss a handful of cassettes into the wax bath 5-10 minutes before we're ready to embed that batch of cassettes. Sometimes we don't even embed the cooled tissue until the next day or later that week. I haven't noticed an obvious difference in how our blocks section, though we have troublesome batches sometimes and we haven't been able to put our finger on why.

Anyone know if allowing infiltrated tissue to cool and then reheat before embedding is better or worse than keeping the tissue soaking in wax for hours at a time?

Thanks!
Lucie

Lucie Guernsey
UC San Diego