[Histonet] Embedding Question

Pam Marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 08:41:24 CDT 2015

I am sorry anytime you are carrying patient tissue in cassettes (processed or not) is a bad plan.  In order to guarantee the tissue is safe it would need to be enclosed in a way that an accidental bump or fall could not allow tissue cassettes to go flying off down the hall.  Playing 52 card pick up with cassettes is not my idea of fun and not finding one or two could result in a bad diagnosis if no other tissue was available to replace it.  Biopsies come to mind immediately.

Since you noted it is a busy hall you also have the risk of paraffin falling on the floor and causing someone else to fall, which should be a lawsuit waiting to happen.  The inconvenience is out weight by the possible incidents this could cause involving patient tissues, hospital personnel and visitors to your facility.  All of this plus adding time to carry baskets to another area and back for cleaning and use.

Pam Marcum
UAMS

----- Original Message -----

From: "Paula Sicurello" <patpxs <@t> gmail.com>
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:29:18 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Embedding Question

It has been proposed to move the embedding centers to a room about 210 ft
away from the tissue processors.

The trip from processor to embedding center would take over 2 minutes and
require the histotechs to carry the baskets full of cassettes down a much
used hallway.

Opinions?

Do you feel this is a good idea-yes or no and why?

Thanks in advance,

Paula