[Histonet] RE: Old slides

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Wed Mar 11 10:42:45 CDT 2015

Bernice,
Take the slide and dip it in xylene.  Lay it on the film, pressing down firmly.  As it adheres, then gently wipe the excess xylene off, and gently place it in a book or your procedure manual and leave it there for an hour or so.
Most of the bubbles will be gone, and the tissue will be saved.

The original problem is not enough xylene dispersed onto the slide.  Adjust the flow being dispensed by the unit.

Sincerely,

Toysha N. Mayer, D.H.Sc., MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor/Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
713.563-3481

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 19:41:48 +0000
From: Bernice Frederick <b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Old slides.
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"

Hi all,
We received some old slides (1997-1998) that were coverslipped with film. Sakura I would imagine. The issue here is that the coverslips have come up from the slide and the tissue is adhered to the back of the coverslip. They need to be recovered so they can be evaluated. What do you all recommend? We use the CV5030 for coverslipping. I tried one with xylene and mounting media but there were still a couple of air bubbles in there.
Thanks,
Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Senior Research Tech