[Histonet] Controls:

Cooper, Brian bcooper <@t> chla.usc.edu
Thu Mar 5 12:06:05 CST 2015

I've used moldy orange peels as a GMS/PAS-F control in the past.  Just saved the peels in a plastic bag over the weekend, then processed as usual.  They worked beautifully!

Brian D. Cooper, HT (ASCP)CM | Histology Supervisor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd MS#43- Los Angeles, CA 90027
Ph: 323.361.3357     Pager: 213-209-0184
bcooper <@t> chla.usc.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Robinson
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 7:21 AM
To: Jb; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Controls:

We have successfully used hamburger meat to make Gram controls.  As far as GMS controls go, we ran across a post from someone smearing cream cheese onto lung tissue and letting it sit for a couple of days, fixed and processed it and were able to demonstrate Aspergillus by GMS.  My fungus control stocks are low so I was actually planning to try this with some beef lung.  I haven't heard of the Slim Jim method before.

Jeff Robinson, Senior Histotechnologist, Sierra Pathology Lab, Clovis, CA.