[Histonet] Re: Bird head stored in 70% alcohol and possible decalcification

Rui TAHARA ruio7 <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:38:56 CST 2015

Thank you for helpful suggestions.
I have further questions.
Yes, I have a bird head (probably 1 cm X 1 cm ) stored in 70 % ethanol.
But i have a similar size bird head fixed in 3.7% formalin for over night and am actually processing the head to store in 70% ethanol since my lab is just ordering the decalcifying solution. I need to decalcify this sample later.
But i am wondering if it is better to keep the sample in formalin for a week or so till i get the decalcification solution or i should store it in 70 % ethanol and then fix it for a few days again later?
I am afraid that longer fixative time would affect the sample somehow (e.g. the sample become too rigid?)

Thank you,

rui