[Histonet] Trichrome troubleshooting

Gayle Callis gayle.callis at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 30 16:05:39 CDT 2015

Years ago, I was taught by Jerry Fredenburg, a stain guru, never to
microwave the Bouins step but do this for 1 hour at 60C or overnight at RT.
The post-fixation/mordant is very important in order to acidify the
connective tissue fibers properly for a trichrome stain, and the short time
in MW will not do the job.   Liz is correct here in letting the sections
stand longer in Bouins after microwaving or simply just do the 1 hour at
60C.

I have removed Gills type hematoxylins from nuclei  by over exposure to
acetic acids so remember that ALL Masson's Trichrome reagents are acidified
with acetic acid and will automatically do this, even on Weigert's Iron
hematoxylin.     We also examined our sections microscopically during
staining to make sure the check the depth of red staining reagents on smooth
muscle is correct - once again, Liz is correct about this fact.

Gayle Callis