[Histonet] tissue fixation-formaldehyde concentrations which is best.

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Fri Jun 5 23:31:07 CDT 2015

 Dear Peter,

Some of the information you mention as "anecdotal" is wrong. Formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde are well documented in original peer-reviewed papers and in all textbooks in the fields of histotechnology and histochemistry.

Your anecdote about "high concentrations of formaldehyde quickly form a 'shell' in the tissue and will stop good penetration and fixation to the deeper tissues" has no basis in published work.  Paraformaldehyde is an insoluble polymer, not "non polymerized formaldehyde".  There is no such thing as "4% paraformaldehyde"!

It is a sad fact that many labs do not contain even one book about histotechnology. Nearly all books in the field (and there are many) have plenty of references to review articles and original literature about the techniques. There are also several websites that provide links to useful papers.  Check out some of the "useful links" on the Biological Stain Commission's site:  http://biologicalstaincommission.org/useful-links/

As a graduate student, you  need to  work from primary sources or reliable secondary sources. When you defend your thesis, you won't want to justify your fixation or staining method by saying "I got the method by asking on an internet listserver".

John Kiernan
Professor Emeritus
Anatomy & Cell Biology
University of Western Ontario