[Histonet] IHC Billing

Joe W. Walker, Jr. joewalker at rrmc.org
Thu Jun 4 10:20:41 CDT 2015

Hi Dana,

We utilize Cerner as our LIS and hospital EMR.  In our world, the IHC charge drops automatically.  With that said, the "charge" that drops in our LIS module is actually a charge/task.  This task is associated to an actual IHC charge in our billing/coding system.  The billing system places the actual charge automatically based on what we send out of our LIS module.  Our billing system has a "rule" set up that looks for Medicare patients and it then automatically transforms the IHC charge to the appropriate code for Medicare.  In our LIS module, every IHC is associated with the 88342 charge, regardless if it is the first, second, third, etc, antibody on a specimen.  The billing systems converts the second, third, etc to the 88141 automatically.  The one catch to the rule is that we have to keep close track on specimens with multiple parts that also have multiple IHC's.  In those instances, we have to manually adjust the IHC charge in order to ensure the correct numbers of 88342's and 88341's are being charged.  It is a complicated process for us but it works for us.

Success in your setting will obviously depend on the capabilities of your IT systems.

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)CM
Manager of Anatomical Pathology, Microbiology and Reference
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P: 802.747.1790  F: 802.747.6525
Email joewalker at rrmc.org    www.rrmc.org

Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England

Rutland Regional...Vermont's 1st Hospital to Achieve Both ANCC Magnet Recognition® and the Governor's Award for Performance Excellence