[Histonet] Decalcification of mouse jaw and legs

Swartwood, Steven J Steven.Swartwood at cshs.org
Fri Jul 10 16:52:47 CDT 2015

Hello all,

I hope everyone is having or had a fantastic week,

I'm going to test a few different decal methods on mouse jaws and leg bones. I was wondering if anyone does this routinely out there who is willing to share a protocol. I've never done this on mouse jaw/leg bones before. I've only done this on human tissues. From what I've read it seems that for routine histology low % HCl is fine, but if I wanted to perform IHC then anywhere from 5-15% formic acid may be the best way to go. Nitric acid is probably too strong of a decal agent for these tiny specimens I would assume. Maybe an EDTA based decal agent may be best as well. I'm just really inexperienced with this and I'm very open to ideas and trying a few different methods.

Steven Swartwood HT(ASCP)
IMPORTANT WARNING: This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.