[Histonet] Coverslipping mystery

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald at mtsac.edu
Thu Jul 9 11:53:06 CDT 2015

What type of clearing agent are you using?  The aliphatic hydrocarbons are
not compatible with all mounting media.

From:   Adam Boanas <a.boanas at epistem.co.uk>
To:     "histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
<histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date:   07/09/2015 06:16 AM
Subject:        [Histonet] Coverslipping mystery

Hello,

We are having a problem that is developing into a big issue in our lab and
I was wondering if anybody could shed any light on it. Our CV5000
coverslipper has recently started introducing microscopic air bubbles onto
the slides during coverslipping. We have been told by our engineer that it
is a consequence of the age and use of the motor and that sourcing another
for an instrument that old (15yrs) will be v difficult. As such, we have
been forced to manually coverslip using DPX and a pipette - manually
applying the coverslips to the slide, thus mirroring the action of the
coverslipper. This is fine at first and for the next few days the slides
look great and very clean. However, after about day 4 -5 days post
coverslipping, the slides develop an odd appearance down the microscope
which looks like very fine `parched earth / crazy paving` all over the
slide - including the section. The excess mountant around the edge of the
coverslip also has a very faint, cloudy appearance whe
 n this occurs. This of course renders the slide un-useable. Does anyone
have a clue what this might be down to / how we can stop it?
We are struggling for ideas with this one!  - this occurs with fresh DPX
also.

Many thanks
Adam

Adam Boanas