[Histonet] mix of questions

Julien Prévost julien.c.prevost <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 20:58:29 CST 2015

Hello histonet, I am new to this list and new to the world of histology and
I am seeking advice for a variety of subjects.

First of all, I am starting an internship in a histology lab and will try
to perfect decalcification of tissues from different types of embalming
methods. My fisrt problem is the embedding center, a Tissue Tek II (
http://www.medical-equipment-classifieds.com/classifieds/view-ad-2535.html).
At first, even at the coldest setting, paraffin went up to 85-90oC. We
played with the intern screw around the thermostat, and I think we just
"screwed" it up even more and the fuse blew... smoke was coming out of the
control box. So, if anyone has the user's manual to this particular
machine, it would be appreciated. Do you have a method to embed tissue
without an embedding center? The cooling plate works fine; it is just the
paraffin bath is not heating anymore. Sakura does not offer help for this
machine anymore. In the same line of idea, if anyone has the manual for the
Tissue Tek VIP 2000, model 4618 circulator, would be appreciated as well.

I will be trying an HCl solution 0,5N in water as a decalcification agent.
Protocols suggest a neutralisation step afterwards of a 12h bath in sodium
sulfate or lithium sulfate. I don't have neither of these products, but
have sodium sulfite or magnesium sulfate. Would a bath in one of these work
the same, or is a bath under running water equivalent to this step of
neutralisation?

I have also a question about decalcification of bones/teeth versus
non-calcified tissue, like liver/kidney/muscles. Is EDTA less harsh for
these tissues than acid-based decalcifiers? I will not be working with
hardly calcified tissues, but more with soft ones.

Hope that is not too much, I am just an eager student excited to get into
the world of science research.

Thank you,

Julien