[Histonet] Marker for embedding material?

Lizzy Wilbanks wilbanks <@t> caltech.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:35:29 CST 2015

Hi Histonetters,

I'm working on embedding bacterial cells in Technovit 8100 and am curious
if folks have any recommendations for dyes that can be used as a marker.  I
first embed my cells in a small agarose plug, then proceed to infiltrate
and embed in Technovit 8100.  Its possible to see the little agarose plug
and flecks of cell material but can be tricky!

Does anyone have suggestions for a good dye or marker that I could mix into
the agarose so I can better see when trimming and sectioning the block?
The only caveat is that it must not be autofluorescent or interfere with *in
situ* hybridization we do downstream on these sections.

Thanks in advance!
Lizzy

--
"The obvious goal of any bacterium is to become bacteria."

Lizzy Wilbanks
Agouron Postdoctoral Fellow, Orphan Lab
Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences

California Institute of Technology, MC 100-23

Pasadena, CA 91125