[Histonet] taupathies, LB & amyloid: IHC labeling followed by staining question

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri Jan 16 15:12:29 CST 2015

I find that when coupling IHC and special stains the best chromogen to use is DAB, unless the colors are too similar.  We would traditionally run the IHC first with the DAB chromogen which is not going anywhere and then essentially counterstain with whatever special stain you are performing.  Basically you run the special as you would normally after the IHC is completed.

I would not switch to a AP detection system most of those chromogens are not as permanent as DAB.  Brown IHC staining combined with the reddish orange from the congo red with a hematoxylin counterstain should look nice.  You can then dehydrate, clear  and mount in a permanent mounting media so why would you want to mount in aqueous.  I would keep it simple.

Good Luck.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504