[Histonet] Re: acid fast control tissue

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 14:29:01 CST 2015

Best acid fast control tissue I ever saw came from rhesus monkeys imported
from India for research in the 1960s. A lot of them had active tuberculosis
and were put down and autopsied (by the veterinary pathologists at Johns
Hopkins). This was human tuberculosis, from tissue very similar to human
lung. There must be some way to get this material today.

Something I've long wanted to know: does Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare
(MAI) infected tissue have the same acid-fast staining properties as Myco.
tuberculosis? - We all know that Myco. leprae doesn't.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN