[Histonet] RE: Giemsa - smears vs. paraffin sections

Joe W. Walker, Jr. joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
Fri Jan 2 09:04:39 CST 2015

Hi Elizabeth,

The intent of Wright Giemsa and MGG is to generally highlight more of the nuclear and cytoplasmic features that may not be as easily observed in fixed specimens stained with H&E or another alcohol based stain like the Pap.  Most all Romanowsky type stains of which Wright's, Giemsa and MGG are variations have a preparation step that involves placing material on a slide allowing the specimen to "air-dry" before being placed in methanol.   This air drying creates an artificial enlargement of both nuclear and cytoplasmic items, which are highlighted by these types of stains.  In my experience, you have to be pretty careful when applying these stains to formalin fixed tissues like bone marrows since the expected staining pattern is altered due to the steps needed in order to stain fixed tissue.  Typically the nuclei appear blue instead of purple and makes it difficult to distinguish nucleoli that normally stain blue in cells.

As to the differences between Wright Giemsa and MGG, I believe this is a matter of preference as both would produce similar results.  We have run each stain on specimens in blinded studies in our own lab and our pathologists and cytotechnologists prefer the MGG stain.  The preference is hard to quantitate since it is all qualitative responses.  I am unware of any literature that supports one over the other for different specimen preparations.

Cheers,

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)CM
Manager of Anatomical Pathology, Microbiology and Reference
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P: 802.747.1790  F: 802.747.6525
Email joewalker <@t> rrmc.org    www.rrmc.org

Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England

Rutland Regional...Vermont's 1st Hospital to Achieve Both ANCC Magnet Recognition® and the Governor's Award for Performance Excellence