[Histonet] Re: Frozen Sections

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 08:40:27 CST 2015

Lorraine asks: >>Hi, I need to ask Histoland a question....How many HT
departments provide assistance to the pathologist in the performance of
frozen sections (cutting and staining of slides) to be evaluated by the
pathologist?<<

This has to do more with the prestige of the pathologist(s) in the
laboratory than with the actual need. Even if I'm doing the frozen section
myself, I appreciate having a second person to stain the slide - it
considerably improves turnaround if I'm having trouble cutting the section.

Many younger pathologists do not have adequate skills in cutting frozen
sections, and really need somebody to cut the sections. I cut hundreds of
them during my residency, and thousands during my research fellowship, but
not every pathologist has this experience.

On a different topic, most formaldehyde neutralizers are simply sodium
bisulfite (a.k.a. metabisulfite), but you have to have the cachet of an
expensive brand-name to keep the inspectors and managers happy.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN