[Histonet] decalcifying sheep knee joints

Fiona J Wright fiona.wright <@t> sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 10:10:15 CST 2015

Can anyone help me out with a problem Im going to have in a few months? I
will be receiving some sheep joints for processing. They will need to be
decalcified in a manner that will leave the tissue suitable for
immunohistochemistry and special stains such as safranin O. How do I go
about this? I have previously only worked with mouse bones and decalcified
for several weeks in EDTA; this has always given me good histological
results, but I fear for sheep bones this methodology would take months.

Any advice gratefully received.

Fiona Wright

Dept of Infection and Immunity
University of Sheffield