[Histonet] RE: "Know Error"

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Wed Feb 4 08:18:22 CST 2015

Great advice, Teri!
While I've not had the same request for the DNA identity test, I've had
a similar circumstance with a request for "routine" testing of a
specimen type that was beyond the scope of what our pathologists thought
as necessary diagnostic or prognostic testing.  Our response was, and
is, exactly what Teri Johnson proposed.  After discussing and addressing
their concerns, we agreed that they would send us a signed patient
release to send the block to their office for them to manage further
testing, including any billing.
It is a system that has worked well for us.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
Ph: 215-938-3676
Fax: 215-938-3874

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 18:13:33 +0000
From: Teri Johnson <tejohnson <@t> genoptix.com>
Subject: [Histonet] RE: "Know Error"

That sounds like a valid concern, Richard. Thank you for being an
advocate for good utilization of patient testing. What is behind their
concern? Do they think there has been a mistake with patient
identification in your lab? Or are they trying to reconcile low PSA or
other discordant screening test results with a diagnosis of prostate CA?
I would offer to send whatever they need from the lab (paraffin section
curls, unstained slides, etc) back to their office, so long as they
provide patient consent. The urologist's office can then package that
material with the buccal swabs they get from the patient. The onus can
be on them to manage the cost of the testing, and they can then try to
justify it with the patient when insurance will not reimburse for it.
Is this option feasible?
Teri