[Histonet] CAP and Special Stains Question

Diana Martinez-Longoria Diana.Martinez-Longoria at ecrmc.org
Tue Dec 1 12:29:11 CST 2015

Good day,

I have a question that hopefully I can get help:

We are preparing for our CAP Inspection for 2016. The ANP: 21395 requirements states:

For special stains, including histochemical stains, and studies using immunologic and FISH/ISH methodology, positive and negative controls are verified and recorded as acceptable prior to or concurrent with the reporting of patient results and records maintained.

Evidence of Compliance:

Records for verification of control acceptability (prior to completion of associated cases)

What I understand from this requirement is not only do they want a positive control compliance but also a negative control compliance for special stains, so if we need a negative controls for special stains how do you go around doing a negative control? Do we use a tissue not specific for the special stain such as an Congo Red using a tissue without amyloid or eliminate a reagent from the protocol? Please help! Thanks!

Diana Martinez-Longoria

Bachelors of Science in Biology

 Histotechnician (ASCP)cm

El Centro Regional Medical Center

Phone: 760-339-7267

Fax: 760-339-4570

Email:dmlongoria at ecrmc.org

ECRMC Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, PLEASE contact the sender and promptly destroy this e-mail and its attachments.