[Histonet] Histology Workload

Amy Self ASelf at tidelandshealth.org
Mon Aug 31 15:41:10 CDT 2015

Happy Monday to Everyone,

I have been trying[ to figure out how to justify additional help in histology - and it's been hard.  My facility staffs according to billables.  This by no means feels fair to anyone in this department.  You could have a specimen that will provide one billable CPT code but can produce as many as 20 paraffin blocks.  And now it seems like we are getting many request for molecular test that require us to mail the patients material out but we have no way of showing that we did this work - we call this free work. We get no credit for time spent preparing and packaging pathology material to send out to reference labs. Am I missing any CPT codes that can be used to show that we in fact did something in addition to routine pathology to this case.

We have 1 histotech - 1 histotech/histology supervisor and one histology assistant.
Our block load averages from 125 to 170 daily.
We also prep non-gyn cytologies.
Accession all specimens that come in that lab.
All mail-outs
The histotech/histology supervisor is responsible for all of the billing as well as keeping up with new and old policies/ requirements for CAP/ auditing billing and the list could go on.

We are drowning in our own workload but don't know how to prove that the help is needed.  Any help - advice - suggestions anything will be appreciated. How can I prove to upper management that we need more help although the billables/productivity numbers say different?

Thanks in advance,
Amy Self
Histology Lab Senior Tech
Lab
Tidelands Georgetown Memorial Hospital
606 Black River Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
843-520-8711
ASelf at tidelandshealth.org

NOTE:
 The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
Thank you.