[Histonet] Frozen Section WL and Billing

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Fri Aug 28 13:05:17 CDT 2015

We set up our system this way -
Example:
A specimen for frozen is sent.  You cut 2 blocks of frozen tissue, 2 levels ea.
The PA/Pathologist submits 3 additional blocks for a total of 5 blocks on the specimen (1-2 are the previously frozen, 3-5 additional tissue) to be cut at one level each.
1. At accession, the technical bill for the Lev 4 gross and micro (88305) drop based on the specimen type (skin biopsy)
2. The tech enters a protocol for 5 blocks, 1 H&E stain each block.
3. The tech modifies the stains, and changes the H&E on the first block to a stain  called FS1 (Frozen Section, first block) The charge for the first frozen block, 88341, drops in when this stain is ordered
4. The tech modifies the stains, and changes the H&E on the second block to a stain called FSA (Frozen Section, Additional Block)  The charge for the additional frozen block, 88342, drops in when this stain is ordered.
5.  The tech then enters stains that are set up in the stain dictionary as a "Label Only". There is no charge associated with these stains.
	Stain FL1,	Block 1,
	Stain FL2, 	Block 1,
	Stain FL1,	Block 2,
	Stain FL2, 	Block 2,
6. FL1 = Frozen Label, 1st level
   FL2 = Frozen Label, 2nd level
7. You can define as many of these Frozen Label levels as you will ever need.
8. Print the labels for the case (some systems will allow you to set up a print 	job for by Label Type, and you can select "Labels Only")

It sounds a bit complicated to set up, but the steps are simple, and once it has been set up to use this way, it is quick, easy and accurate to use.  I don't know what LIS system you are using, but this is easily adaptable for almost any system
We also set up the system to include the "Label Only" slides to be included in the total slide count, so you get work credit there.
I hope this helps.
Please feel free to call or contact for any questions.
Also, I'm not that far from you, if you need a little help.
Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
Ph: 215-938-3676
Fax: 215-938-3874
   2. frozen section- workload and billing (Davis, Cassie)
From: "Davis, Cassie" <CDavis at che-east.org>
To: "histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu"

Hi Histofolks,
       I need to pick yours brains...we are in the middle of building a workable computer system for our lab we have run into a hiccup when it come to frozen sections. As a tech I know there is actual hands on, stop what you are doing, do this now  work involved. My understanding from a billing perspective it is not "billable workload" but an "interdepartmental consultation between surgery and pathology". The problem is how to build the system so we get labels for our frozen section slides that does not interfere with the "billable workload" that is. I was thinking maybe it should be built in the system the same way a control slide is, does anybody have any suggestions?

Cassandra Davis
Histology Technician
Anatomical Pathology Laboratory
Saint Francis Healthcare