[Histonet] Using randomly generated anonymizing numbers for internal tracting of specimens

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Tue Aug 25 11:44:57 CDT 2015

Interesting. I can see the point if they want total opacity as to person ID. Is only the number supposed to appear on the label? How about a second identifier?

It would not cause mistakes in labeling (because the labels come from the system) as long as you are following one-piece workflow. But doing so will make it necessary to scan a barcode (or OCR to read the number) to open any case for anything. Necessary because typos on manual entering will be a problem (unless you trust people to ALWAYS check a second identifier. I don't!). It is not really so bad as long as you have easy access to a computer at all times in order to look up the case, including all slide, block and tissue storage.

And, how do you store materials? We do it now essentially by date (sequential number). How do you store and retrieve a random number? Randomly?  If you had a robotic warehouse it could be done. Do you?

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center