[Histonet] Nails:

Michael Ann Jones mjones at metropath.com
Thu Aug 20 08:58:00 CDT 2015

After grossing in, we soak the nail in Nair (dab of HOT water mixed to
runny paste) for a couple of hours to soften the nail.
We face into the block, soak the face of the block in fresh Nair solution
again for at least 30 minutes.
Bake sections in the oven for 1 hour at least, sometimes hand stain so
that slide is treated gently.
Tissue can still fall of sometimes - nature of the beast!
I guess they use Nair for Rhinoceros horns!
Good Luck :)

Michael Ann Jones, HT (ASCP)
Histology Manager
Metropath