[Histonet] are you desperate enough to hire a B.Sc. graduate?

Ingles Claire CIngles at uwhealth.org
Mon Aug 10 15:05:19 CDT 2015

We have had this problem for years. We are more than willing to train someone. We are a small lab so a bigger concern is if they will fit in with the rest of us personality wise. Not that we just hire anyone willy-nilly, but many people with BS's have some lab experience/background anyway. We just make sure they have at least a BS so they fit the qualifications to gross. I am actually the only one in a lab of 4 with my certification, and though I also have an AA in Histotechnology, my BS in Biology made getting the AA alot easier. It is more of a concern if they can't troubleshoot and adapt on the fly to the ever changing situations in the lab. We actually just hired an HT with 28 years of experience, but don't know if she is going to make it past her 6 month eval. She can't multitask and has a hard time adapting to the different specimen types. I think she has worked mostly in research in the past. (not belittling you researchers out there, but many of you know that research vs. clinical work can take different skill sets.)
Claire