[Histonet] Marciafava-Bignami Disease

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer at mdanderson.org
Tue Aug 4 14:49:41 CDT 2015

This is very interesting.  I have worked in the field for over 20 yrs, and was pregnant while working in a small lab.  Mostly everything was manual, and I did not use all of the safety precautions I should have (my fault). My son had severe speech and language delay as well as a language processing issue when he was smaller, and now stutters.  I have often wondered (as most parents would) if my lack of precautions may have contributed. We stress the safety issues to the students daily, to get it all in their heads.  I often tell  people that I am so happy because I work with xylene, and I feel real good.  So far, I don't see any noticeable symptoms of anything wrong, just the usual-decreased olfactory sensing, repetitive motion issues, plantar fasciitis, and varicose veins.  Hair loss was an issue at one time, but that was attributed to PCOS.  Now that I am not in the lab full time anymore it has decreased since I went natural (I'm African-american).  One thing I have noticed is my C-reactive protein is high, and I take a statin for that.  I have no liver issues, and my functions appear to be normal.  Next time I go in for a physical, I will have my workplace hazards documented in my EMR.
I will look up Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC), to get some more information, especially since I was born jaundiced and I am anemic.

Sincerely,

Toysha N. Mayer, D.H.Sc., MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor/Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center