[Histonet] Handling paraffin

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Mon Aug 3 22:46:58 CDT 2015

Gloves and "Paraffin hazards?"

1. Flammable. White candles are made of paraffin wax. We light them ungloved.
2. Hot when melted, but not hot enough to cause even a first degree burn from a small amount on the skin.
3. Liquid enters clothing and solidifies therein. This is a real annoyance, but the safety experts couldn't care less. Wax is removable by soap & water at >60C (thank you, René Buesa) or by dry-cleaning.
4. Solid wax has to be trimmed with a sharp knife to prepare for microtomy. Gloves thick enough to prevent a cut finger probably would impede this skilled task.
5. Every microtome has a dangerously sharp knife, less so in recent decades with short disposable blades. This is a hazard of microtomy, not of paraffin wax. It might be possible to cut, recover and mount sections while wearing very thin (surgical) rubber gloves, but why?

John Kiernan
London, Canada
= = =