[Histonet] Re: H. Pylori Testing

Stedman, Nancy Nancy.Stedman <@t> buschgardens.com
Tue Apr 28 13:53:30 CDT 2015

I believe IHC is more sensitive than the special stains too.  One caveat for anyone who works with veterinary samples - the H. pylori antibodies are specific for H. pylori, so I have not found these antibodies to be helpful for evaluating other species with helicobacter-associated gastritis.  One exception is the antibody made by Biocare which seems to stain some of the feline helicobacters, and maybe others too (have not tried).

-Nancy Stedman

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:33 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: H. Pylori Testing

>From the pathologist's viewpoint, immunohistochemical stains for
Helicobacter are much faster to read than are the old dye methods such as Giemsa.

Ventana claims that you can break even with one of their stainers if you produce 600 billable slides a year (unless they've changed that number - a rep can tell you.

It's likely that we are going to get a lot more resistance in the future from the third parties about paying for a Helicobacter stain done in advance of the pathologist's looking at the slide. I'd think about that before investing very much in anything.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN