[Histonet] RE: NY State Histology License

Anne Murvosh amurvosh <@t> advancederm.net
Fri Apr 24 11:03:10 CDT 2015

There is a grandfather clause if you were a histotech by april 24.1995.  I asked ClIA recently when they came to inspect me, as I fell into this category but didn't know if you had to have the licence by then or just have been performing high complexity test at that time (my licence was later than that).  The CLIA person couldn't decipher their own rules and was going to ask her supervisor.  I never heard back.  As for IHC any HT in our state can do it and CAP never brought it up when I worked at the hospital.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gail Marcella
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:48 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] NY State Histology License

Hi  - I've been a Histotech for 20+ years and got my Clinical Laboratory License in NY State when they required getting it. I don't have an Associates or Bachelor's degree but a Pathologist signed off for me. I have my HTASCP. I was told when I went for an interview in NY State that I couldn't gross small specimens or do IHC without an Associates  or Bachelor degree in biology. I was not aware of these restrictions. I don't see anything on the NYS website.  I was wondering if anyone else heard of this? Thanks - Gail