[Histonet] NY State regulations

Joelle Weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Apr 22 15:32:54 CDT 2015

The FDA categorizes and grades each test based on the complexity of the test method. The FDA lists the category at http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/IVDRegulatoryAssistance/ucm393285.htm on the FDA website. The FDA categorizes test methods into three levels of complexity:

Waived complexity, Moderate Complexity, including the subcategory of Provider-Performed Microscopy Procedures (PPMP); and High Complexity.When categorizing a test, the FDA considers the:

Amount of interpretation involved;
Calibration and quality control requirements of the instruments used;
Degree of independent judgment involved;
Difficulty of the calculations involved;
Examinations and procedures performed and the methodologies employed; and
Type of training required to operate the instruments used in the methodology.
How is it determined if a test is waived, moderate or high complexity?
For moderate and high complexity tests, the FDA evaluates each new commercial test system during the premarket approval process by scoring seven criteria as described in the CLIA regulations.        The final score is used to determine whether the test system  is classified as moderate or high complexity. See 42 CFR 493.17. For more details, please also see the FDA’s webpage on the CLIA Categorization Criteria and CMS’ webpage on Categorization of Tests.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC