[Histonet] Verhoeff's hematoxylin

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Tue Apr 21 15:22:44 CDT 2015

Suggested Answers below

1.   several hours is all you will get out of the solution I am surprised there is a method that gives you a month shelf life unless it is a different method eg orcein
2.   If it works keep using it
3.   Allowing the alcoholic Hx to ripen for at least a few days will make it easier to differentiate the elastic fibres.

Regards,
Tony

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of André K [akoug <@t> hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 21 April 2015 3:54 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Verhoeff's hematoxylin

Hi

1) Our college is trying to save on reagents. Most textbooks say that Verhoeff's working solution is stable only for a few hours. Someone told me that he used to keep the same solution for up to a month. Has any of you tried to reuse Verhoeff's working solution? If so, how long did you keep it? L

2) When preparing stock solution B (10% ferric chloride), do you use the anhydrous or the hexahydrate crystals ? We've always used 10g of hexahydrate for 100ml of water and it works fine. But I just realized that maybe we've been doing it wrong for years?!?

3) About stock solution A : Someone told me that older solutions work  better than fresh ones. Apparently, solutions that are one year old are the best. What's your opinion on that?

Andre Kougioumoutzakis
College de Rosemont

Envoyé de mon iPhone

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Sydney Children's Hospitals Network.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Sydney Childrens Hospital's Network accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.