[Histonet] prevent wrinkles when cutting

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Mon Apr 20 16:59:58 CDT 2015

Rachel

We also run multiple antibodies under multiple parameters and there is no need or reason to cut in one ribbon that many sections.  You will still be able collect somewhat serial or the sections that you need with multiple ribbons.  You are only able to fit on the waterbath in one ribbon (depending upon the size base mold that you used ) anywhere from 6 to 15 sections.  You can place ribbons side by side on the waterbath but for me personally I find it’s a bit more difficult to pick the sections up once you have placed multiple long ribbons on the waterbath.  I prefer working with one ribbon at a time, two tops when collecting multiple sections, but that’s just me.   We work with animal tissue and tissue that may not have been processed in our lab so we do soak all of the blocks.

The other thing you need to consider is that when we section a paraffin block the section thickness is not exactly consistent, we are essentially cutting a wedge as the block warms the sections becomes thicker, so if we can control the number of sections we collect in one ribbon, place the block back on ice before we collect the next ribbon, we can then maintain section thickness better.   I would think that as you section 30 +sections in one ribbon the block is warming up and the sections are becoming thicker.  Section thickness is extremely important when comparing IHC staining results, staining intensity will change in a 1 micron difference in section thickness.

Just my two cents - and I do have images and staining intensity calculations with respects to section thickness.  This is something that we have looked at recently.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504