[Histonet] Bouin's, formic acid & and sirius red staining

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Apr 15 17:43:47 CDT 2015

Fixation must be adequate before decalcifying. 12-24h in Bouin is OK. My favourite formic decalcifier is that of Clark (1954) Am. J. Clin. Path. 24: 1113-1116. It's a buffer (pH2.0) made by mixing 90% formic acid 250ml, water 750 ml and sodium formate (anhydrous) 34g. Keeps for ever. Check the reference. Never trust a recipe you read on the internet!

The picric acid in picro-sirius red is a necessary component of the staining solution. See Junqueira et al 1979 Histochem. J. 11: 447-455. It's important to have the correct red dye; there is more than one "sirius red". Use C.I. 35780, Direct red 80.

John Kiernan
London, Canada
= = =