[Histonet] Bouin's, formic acid & and sirius red staining

Linda Prasad (SCHN) linda.prasad <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Wed Apr 15 19:29:33 CDT 2015

Hi Tryrone
A Mass Trichrome stain will stain up the collagen in the diseased kidney. If the tissue has already been fixed in Bouin's Solution you can omit the picric acid step. Another good stain is the Curtis's Van Gieson Stain. Ive sent you the protocol for botht he stains. Hope it helps.

Masson Trichrome

Principal
This method depends on the special action of phosphomolybdic acid when combined with red aniline dye. The acid lifts the colour first from the collagen and only later from the cytoplasm. The differentiation is stopped at the point where the Collagen only is colourless, and then another aniline dye (light green) is added to stain the collagen

Reagents:

1.	Ponceau Acid Fuchsin
Warning: Suspected Carcinogen – see MSDS
Acid fuchsin (Sigma Aldrich CI 42685)     0.1g
Ponceau de xylidene (CI 16150) 	  	1g
Distilled Water                       		99ml
When dissolved, add 1ml Glacial Acetic Acid

2.	Light Green
Warning: Suspected Carcinogen – see MSDS
Light green 	(CI 42095)			    2g
Glacial Acetic acid 				  2ml
Distilled water 				98ml

3.	Weigert's Iron Haematoxylin or Celestine Blue/Haematoxylin

4.	1% Phosphomolybdic Acid
Phosphomolybdic acid			5g
Distilled water 				500ml

Procedure:

1.	Bring sections to distilled water.
2.	Celestine blue 					10 minute.
3.	Wash well in water.
4.	Harris' haematoxylin 				10 minutes.
5.	Differentiate and blue
6.	Ponceau acid fuchsin solution 		10min
7.	Quick rinse in tap water
8.	1% Phosphomolybdic acid  			5min
9.	Do not rinse in water
10.	Light green solution 			2min
11.	Rinse excess stain rapidly in water.
12.	Dehydrate, clear & mount

Results:
Collagen, mucin                                	green
Muscle, Fibrin                                            	red
Nuclei                                                           	purple

Curtis's Van Gieson Stain

Principle:
This solution is based on the same formula as Van Gieson with the exception of the use of Ponceau S rather than acid fuschin. Glacial Acetic Acid is used rather than hydrochloric acid to sharpen the staining results.

Reagents:

1.	1% aqueous Ponceau S
Ponceau S (CI 27195)				0.5g
Distilled water					50ml

2.	Curtis’s Van Gieson
1% aqueous Ponceau S 			10ml
Saturated aqueous picric acid      		90ml
Glacial Acetic Acid 	                         		1.5ml

3.   Celestine Blue – Haematoxylin procedure

Procedure:
1.	Dewax and hydrate sections.
2.	Celestine blue 5 minute wash.
3.	Wash well in water.
4.	Harris' haematoxylin 5 minutes.
5.	Wash in water and blue (do not differentiate).
6.	Curtis Van Gieson stain 10 minutes (do not wash).
7.	Rinse in absolute alcohol
8.	Dehydrate, clear and mount.

Results:
Collagen                 		Red
Muscle, other tissues    		Yellow
Nuclei                   		Blue

Linda Prasad | Senior Scientist | Histopathology
t: (02) 9845 3306 | f: (02) 9845 3318 | e: linda.prasad <@t> health.nsw.gov.au | w: www.schn.health.nsw.gov.au

Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead, NSW Australia
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead 2145, NSW Australia

♲  Please consider the environment before printing this email.