[Histonet] soften beak

Rui TAHARA ruio7 <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 14:16:04 CDT 2015

Thank you for suggestions for softening beak.
Yes, I actually processed the whole head for decalcifying first and then place the sample in 10% KOH for 30 mins. It was my first attempt to process beak (including a whole head) thus, i did not know i should have processed softening beak first.
Anyway, after placing the beak in 10% KOH for 30 mins, it did not seem to soften enough. However, I did not overly place it in solution because it may destroy the microscopic structure.

How soft the nail becomes after 10 % KOH or Nair treatment, such as you can bent the nail easily etc..?
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

rui

***

From: ruio7 <@t> hotmail.com
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 05:23:01 +0900
Subject: [Histonet] soften beak

Hi,

I am just wondering what you would recommend to soften avian beak for paraffin processing.
I found a protocol that KOH could be used to soften keratin in nail, however, I have not been able to find that this method is applicable specific to beak.
Another concern is if i use KOH for an entire head, does KOH affect (e.g. damage) soft tissues?

Thank you in advance,

rui