[Histonet] RE: whole mouse brains

James Watson JWatson <@t> gnf.org
Fri Apr 10 15:33:53 CDT 2015

We also have embed mouse brains for coronal sections routinely in deep molds, yes it can be close at times.  With rat brains we actually embedded in deep molds with the Mega cassette upside down so part of the brain went above the mold and into the cassette.  If we needed to go through the whole brain once we got near the cassette we would re-embed the brain so the reminder was out of the cassette.

James Watson HT  ASCP
GNF  Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
Scientific Technical Leader II, Histology
Tel    858-332-4647
Fax   858-812-1915
jwatson <@t> gnf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Catherine Simonson
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 10:38 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: whole mouse brains

Hey there!

I embed whole mouse brains on a regular basis.  First, process on a longer schedule (about 1 to 1.5 hours per station, really.  Otherwise they are under processed and will not cut well and you will have problems getting them to stay on the slides during staining).  Use the deep molds.  Keep in mind that the tissue will shrink (about 20 - 30 %) during processing so they WILL fit for coronal sections.  If need be, trim some of the olfactory bulbs off (you probably would be facing those off on the microtome anyhow).

Hope this helps,

Catherine Simonson, HT (ASCP)
The Jackson Laboratory
Bar Harbor, ME