[Histonet] RE: Formaldehyde filters

Shelly Coker sccrshlly <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 20:13:12 CDT 2015

I am not sure about the color change you are referencing, unless it is the change that occurs with potassium permanganate filters, which turn black when exhausted.

We have a countertop gross station with two Potassium Permanganate filters that we change every 6 months.  Keep in mind we do very small specimens and deal with very small amounts of formalin.  If you use the Potassium permanganate filters (which are no more expensive than charcoal through Mopec), then you should be able to come up with a changing schedule that will work with your workflow.
Try not to get the potassium permanganate anywhere on the floor or counter or your clothes though....the dust is a tan color, but reacts with moisture and turns purple!

>Does anybody remember how to test whether a formaldehyde filter for a grossing station is exhausted?  If I remember right there is some sort of test where you remove a couple of granules and cut the granules in half.  The color of the cut service is used somehow.

Also I know that changing formaldehyde filters on ductless workstations needs to be done regularly.  Can anyone share how often they change the formaldehyde filters for a gross lab senior or a small station such as a HYperclean?

Jim

Jim Vickroy
Histology Manager
Springfield Clinic, Main Campus, East Building
1025 South 6th Street
Springfield, Illinois  62703
Office:  217-528-7541, Ext. 15121
Email:  jvickroy <@t> SpringfieldClinic.com<mailto:jvickroy <@t> SpringfieldClinic.com>