[Histonet] RE: Artifact in IHC

Donna Maney dmaney22 <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 21:19:08 CDT 2014

Geoff and Terry,
Thanks so much for your input. All of the Histonet posts went into my spam so I just saw these today, but in the meantime by coincidence we ended up following your suggestions. To us, it looked like the tissue was drying out and cracking before being coverslipped. A new technician was being trained, and was perhaps trying too hard to drain all of the xylene off the slide. She noted that the longer she took to coverslip the slide, the worse the artifact was. So we soaked off the coverslips, rehydrated down through 70% and into 50% then water, then dehydrated and coverslipped again. I'd say the artifact is 95% gone.

So, I don't know if it was just being speedier with the coverslip or the lower concentrations of alcohol and water soak that did the trick. But we will be implementing both now.

Thanks again,
Donna
On Tue, 9/23/14, Geoff <mcauliff <@t> rwjms.rutgers.edu> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Artifact in IHC
 To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
 Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 3:40 AM

 Teri makes an excellent
 point about higher alcohols causing
 precipitation of phosphate salts.

 Geoff

 On 9/22/2014 1:17 PM, Teri Johnson wrote:
 > Hi Donna,
 >
 > Interesting conundrum! A few questions:
 >   - Do you see it in tissues
 that have not undergone any staining, just floated in buffer
 and coverslipped?
 >   - Have
 you tried wet mounting them after staining and prior to
 dehydration and clearing to see if the artifact is there?
 >   - Have you recently changed
 glove manufacturers, could this be talc or some other powder
 from gloves?
 >   - Are you
 dehydrating out of PBS into an alcohol concentration higher
 than 70%? You could be getting phosphate precipitation. Try
 using a water rinse prior to alcohol or make sure your first
 alcohol concentration is 70% or lower.

 > Those are the weird
 things that came to mind. I hope this helps,

 > Teri Johnson
 > Manager Clinical Trial Testing
 > Genoptix, Inc.

 Carlsbad, CA 92008

 ________________________________

 > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail
 message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
 the intended recipient(s) and contains information that is
 confidential and proprietary to Genoptix Medical Laboratory
 or its subsidiaries. Any unauthorized review, use,
 disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
 intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by e-mail

 --
 --
 Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.