[Histonet] RE: Automated Special Stainer...

Pam Marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Wed Sep 17 13:08:26 CDT 2014

I understand the problem.  We have two Artisans and rarely have a time issue.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Timothy Morken" <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:58:02 PM
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Automated Special Stainer...

Brian wrote: "... one more thing.  The reagent tray capacity on the Artisan is about twice what it is on a Benchmark."

Are the TAT's equal? When we loaded up our old artisan with slides (50) and full of reagents it took over 5 hours to finish - way past our deadline. So nobody wanted to use it that way so the techs resisted and wanted to do manual to get the slide out. We ended up putting only a few stains on it.

We  are looking at doing specials the way we do immunos - on demand all day rather than in one batch in the AM.

It seemed to me that the 20-slide units from Ventana allow small batches and run in parallel or allow staggered use. Buying a 50-slide capacity instrument and then putting only 20 slides at a time on it seems odd somehow.

We looking at each of these as well and not sure yet which would serve us better. We do about 60-80 specials slides per day, and 13 stains give us 90% of our volume.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco, CA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this email message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this email message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.