[Histonet] RE: undercounter crushed ice makers?

Cooper, Brian bcooper <@t> chla.usc.edu
Fri Oct 31 17:52:34 CDT 2014

We had one at my previous institution.  Most of the techs (including me) preferred the large, solid blocks of ice to the crushed stuff, except when it came time to make margaritas.  Then we were all over the crushed stuff!

The solid blocks hold moisture at the surface better than the crushed ice, and they stay colder longer.  Crushed ice doesn't hold a flat surface when you add water to it (even when you compact it), and we seemed to constantly be pushing the blocks down into the slushy abyss.  Maybe I didn't give it enough of a try, and I have been accused (rightfully so) of being set in my ways!  Not an issue here though--we have a freezer full of big ol' blocks of ice . . .

Happy Halloween Histonet!!!

Thanks,

Brian D. Cooper, HT (ASCP)CM | Histology Supervisor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd MS#43- Los Angeles, CA 90027
bcooper <@t> chla.usc.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 3:16 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] undercounter crushed ice makers?

Does anyone use an undercounter crushed ice maker they are happy with? We are looking into this for microtomy ice trays.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies UC San Francisco Medical Center Box 1656
505 Parnassus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94143
USA

415.514-6042  (office)
tim.morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org<mailto:tim.morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this email message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this email message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original message.